Bulgur- Black Bean Burgers
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus additional for brushing
1 small onion, diced
½ cup bulgur
1 (14oz) can black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 ½ Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup fresh cilantro, minced
¾ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt
4 whole wheat hamburger rolls
Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, red onion
For Lime-Cilantro Aioli:
¼ cup prepared low-fat mayonnaise
¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 lime, zest and juice
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add bulgur to pan along with 1 cup of water or broth. Cover and simmer on low until water is absorbed, about 15-18 minutes.
- Put cooked bulgur in a large mixing bowl with remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Form into 4 patties, about ½ cups of mixture per patty.
- Chill at least 20 minutes. While patties chill, prepare aioli by pulsing all ingredients in a blender or food processor until blended. Chill until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, drop in patties and cook until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve on whole wheat rolls with Lime-Cilantro Aioli and desired toppings (lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado).